Saturday, October 23, 2010

America Reads Day

We had a wonderful Hibernation/America Reads Day at Prairie Creek yesterday! Thank you to all of our wonderful readers who came to share their time and stories with us. We also had the opportunity to listen to our celebrity reader, Meteorologist Josh Baynes from KCRG. Mr. Baynes read Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and the sequel Pickles to Pittsburgh. Pictures of his visit were on the channel 9, 6 o'clock news last night. Mr. Young also took some pictures, which we will try to get posted online, too.

Comment below, and tell us a little about what you are currently reading.

6 comments:

  1. Currently, I am reading two books. The first is a novel, The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It takes place in Mississippi during the Civil Rights movement. The second is a non-fiction book called What the Great Ate: A Curious History of Food and Fame, about the culinary likes and dislikes of the famous (and infamous) throughout history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so much fun reading to your class on America Reads Day! I hope that all of the fifth graders will continue to be passionate about reading. It can enrich a person's life in so many ways. I am currently reading Seven Strategies of Assessment for Learning. This is a book that is helping me and the teachers at Prairie learn more about how we can help students be more involved in their learning progress. Have a wonderful week! Tracy Laue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read The Help a few months back. It is an excellent read. I couldn't put it down. I'm currently reading a non-fiction book called Drink. It's a historical look at alcohol from ancient times to present day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls. She's the author of The Glass Castle - a memoir and a great read. Half Broke Horses is based on the life of the author's Grandmother. She too faces setbacks due to family situations. A teacher once told her, "When God closes a window, he opens a door. But it's up to you to find it." This is how she seems to live her life (so far)! Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am currently reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series (as recommended by Adam).

    I enjoyed joining your class for America reads day!

    Kelly Lappin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this -- I'm getting lots of great reading ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete