Friday, August 20, 2010

What does a scientist look like?

Armed with paper and crayons, groups of students were asked to draw a scientist, and write five words or phrases about scientists. After discussion and collaboration they penned images that represented a scientist in their minds. 86% of groups drew a male. Most were old, had wild hair, glasses and a write lab coat. Almost all were chemists with test tubes and chemicals with explosive power. Mad scientists. This was certainly the result I expected.

Stereotypes influence our image of the scientific field. What is a scientist? Male or female, young or old, crazy hair or no hair at all... I view scientists as those who observe, investigate and study to learn more about the world and universe that surrounds them. And today, when I looked out at my students, there were fifty-six bright eyed and curious scientists looking back at me.

So, when you child looks in the mirror and sees an artist or an athlete, musician or mathematician, techie or gamer, I hope they also see a scientist. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment